Veterans Memorial Park & Monument
In 2009, a group of veterans created the Veterans Memorial Park Committee and approached the City of Union City about establishing a park and monument as a tribute to Veterans of the United States Armed Services.
With the installation of the flagpoles in 2010, these Committee members continued to raise funds to work towards completing a display to honor veterans by adding landscaping and a Veterans Memorial monument. The six-sided monolith depicts a brief history of each of the 5 armed services as well as the Merchant Marines whose civilian members serve along side our armed services during conflicts. The monument was dedicated on November 11, 2017 with over 400 residents, veterans, and local officials taking part. This project was funded by Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 7906, Tri-CED Community Recycling, City of Union City, and the County of Alameda Board of Supervisors District Two Office.
Visit the City of Union City website to learn more about commemorative brick purchases to support the memorial. The brick order from can also be downloaded here. Please follow the instructions on the city website and contact the City of Union City for additional information on purchasing a brick.
Veterans Memorial Park Committee established with the following Committee members:
- John Johns, United States Army
- Al Laigo, United States Air Force
- Arthur McGrath, United States Air Force
- Roger Narcisco, United States Air Force
- Fred Penning, United States Marines
- Water Shrank, United States Army
- John Tatem, United States Army
- Winton Turner, United States Marines
- Richard Valle, United States Army
- The City of Union City and the New Haven Unified School District approve the site and name change for the Veterans Memorial Park at 4525 Dyer Street in Union City
- Tri-CED Community Recycling funds the installation of eight flag poles
- Manuel Fernandez volunteers as architect and designer
- James R. Griffin Construction installs flag poles
- Commemoration and Ribbon Cutting at Veterans Memorial Park with Special Guest Brigadier General Garrett Yee
- City of Union City selects SilMan Construction to build project
- Monument ground breaking September 15, 2017
- Monument construction complete November 9, 2017
- Monument dedication Saturday, November 11, 2017
A Special Thank You
To the groups that were dedicated to honoring veterans through the completion of the monument and ceremony, as well as the speakers during the dedication ceremony.
- Alameda County Fire Fighters, Local 55
- Bras and Mattos Monument Co.
- Brigadier General Shane Buzza
- Ret. Colonel Bernie Johnson-Byrd
- City of Union City
- County of Alameda
- Colonel Jon Ellis
- League of Filipino American Veterans
- Manuel Fernandez
- Congress Member Eric Swalwell
- SilMan Construction
- United States Army, Pacific Division, 75th Training Command
- United States Army, Pacific Division, 84th Training Division
- United States Army, 91st Division Color Guard
- Mayor Carol Dutra-Vernaci
- Veterans Post 7906
- Vietnam Helicopters
- Major General Garrett Yee
- Ret. Brigadier General Chet Ward
To all the Union City residents who attended to support our veterans on this memorable and special occasion.